Old Mint and Mint Square
Added to the travel planner: 2059
reviews: 3.25 von 5 (8 reviews)
updated: 29.09.2021 00:19:04
Errors and omissions excepted!Report an issue
In the centre of Coblenz's old town, the “Alte Münze” (old mint) is situated – a former mint master's house, a baroque house with a simple plaster façade. It was built between 1761 and 1763 as the residence of the mint master Meydinger. There were originally several buildings adjacent housing for example the foundry, the transfer gutter for the molten metal, the crushing mill, the metalwork shop, the washhouse, the furnace and a warehouse where the produce of local farmers could be sampled and bought.
As early as 1773, the Old Mint was closed and the adjacent buildings put up for auction. With the exception of the mint master's house, all the buildings were demolished to make room for a vegetable market. On this site today, the Münzplatz (Mint Square) still stands with its fountain, a gift from the Sparkasse bank in Coblenz in commemoration of the 2,000 year city jubilee.
The ”Alte Münze“ is a protected monument and has been part of the UNESCO World Heritage Upper Middle Rhine Valley since 2002.