Castle Ruin Winneburg
Added to the travel planner: 3471
reviews: 3.03 von 5 (61 reviews)
updated: 28.09.2022 07:53:15
Errors and omissions excepted!Report an issue
A winding path leads up to the castle ruin Winneburg which stands about 80 metres above the Endert valley. There is a gruesome tale woven about the origins of the Winneburg, but documents reveal that the castle was built in the 13th century. It was the property of the family of a certain Wirich of Wunnenberg until the lineage died out in 1637. Around the middle of the 17th century the castle passed into the possession of the Metternich family.
Having been blown up by the French in 1689, the gate porch and the front courtyard are still preserved from the 13th century. In addition, the round keep and two half-towers with the almost 20 metre long great hall are still almost fully preserved. Apart from these there are the remains of housing and outbuildings from the 15th century. Today the castle belongs to the town of Cochem.