Liebfrauenkirche (Church of Our Lady)

Kath. Pfarrei Liebfrauen
Liebfrauenstraße 2
54290 Trier

Tel.: +49 651 - 170 790

Opening times

Sightseeings
April - October
Mon - Fri: 10:00am - 7:00pm
Sat: 11:00am - 4:30pm
Sun & Holid.: 12:30pm - 6:00pm
   
November - March
Mon - Fri: 10:00am - 5:00pm
Sat: 11:00am - 4:30pm
Sun & Holid.: 12:30pm - 5:00pm
   
no sightseeing during church service
   
Opening times
April - October
Mon - Sat: 8:00am - 7:00pm
Sun: 8:00am - 6:00pm
   
November - March
daily: 8:00am - 5:00pm

Travel month

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12

Suitable for

4.6 / 5

Statistics

updated: 17.11.2019
Published: 10.06.14
Added to the travel planner: 1802
Printed: 511
reviews: 4.6 von 5 (5 reviews)

Errors and omissions excepted!

Report an issue

The history of the Parish Church of Our Lady , the Liebfrauenkirche, goes all the way back to the year 326 A.D. At this point in time, the Emperor Constantine commissioned the construction of the double church structure, consisting of Trier Cathedral (Trierer Dom) and the Liebfrauenkirche, along with other places of worship.

The Liebfrauenkirche thus forms the southern basilica. However at the time of the Archbishop Theoderich von Wied, it was in a dilapidated state and thus, between 1227 and 1260, the former „Aula beatae Marieae Virginis“ was reconstructed, and as a result, a jewel of a church was created in the most elegant High Gothic style.

The ground plan resembles a 12-leaved Greek rose, and twelve slim round pillars support the vaults. World War Two did not spare the Liebfrauenkirche , but it was rebuilt post - war. In 2008, the Liebfrauenkirche was closed for three years and extensively renovated.

Under the motto „Let the rose bloom anew“, it was reopened ceremoniously in September 2011. The Liebfrauenkirche is the oldest High Gothic church in Germany and has belonged to the UUNESCO World Heritage (UNESCO-Weltkulturerbe) since 1986. Today it is regarded as the finest church to be found in Trier.

Route map