Constantine Basilica

Evangelische Kirchengemeinde Trier
Konstantinplatz
54290 Trier

Tel.: +49 651 - 994 912 00

Opening times

January - March
Mon: closed
Tue - Sat: 11:00am - 12:00pm
  3:00pm - 4:00pm
   
Sun & Holid.: 12:00pm - 1:00pm
   
April - October
Mon - Sun: 10:00am - 6:00pm
   
November - December
Mon: closed
Tue - Sat: 10:00am - 12:00pm
  2:00pm - 4:00pm
Sun & Holid.: 12:00pm - 1:00pm

Travel month

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12

Suitable for

4.83 / 5

Statistics

updated: 20.09.2019
Published: 18.07.14
Added to the travel planner: 1923
Printed: 544
reviews: 4.83 von 5 (6 reviews)

Errors and omissions excepted!

Report an issue

Situated a couple of hundred metres from the Cathedral is one of the most significant works of Roman late Antiquity – the gleaming red Constantine Basilica. Originally it was erected as a palace hall for representational purposes (throne room and show-place for imperial displays of power). The basilica is the largest single room to have been preserved from Antiquity. It measures an impressive 67 metres in length, 27 metres in width and is 33 metres high. In this massive room the organ's echo takes a full 7 seconds!

After the Romans, the Constantine Basilica has had a very eventful history. It was used as the seat of the royal county earls during the Merowinger period, then as residence of the Archbishop and the French used it as a military hospital and barracks. In the middle of the 19th century the palace hall was converted into a Church of the Redeemer and thus became the oldest protestant church in Trier. Since 1986 it has been part of the UNESCO World Heritage.

Route map