Added to the travel planner: 2336
reviews: 4 von 5 (8 reviews)
updated: 06.02.2023 11:23:03
Errors and omissions excepted!Report an issue
These two Mosel cranes can be seen right on the riverside. As early as the 14th century a floating crane was used for repairs to the Mosel bridge before the Mosel boatman Gobels was given permission to erect a land crane in 1413. Prerequisites for its construction were that it be erected in front of the Johannispforte (St. John's Gate) and be protected from drifting ice and flood water. And thus, the old wooden floating crane was replaced by a land crane.
With the death of the owning family, the crane reverted to municipal ownership in the year 1452. Between 1773 and 1774 Trier's customs crane was built 250 metres further on the same riverbank, the old crane serving as a prototype for construction of the new one. In World War Two, the old crane was badly damaged, but was repaired in the 50s.
An extensive overhaul was carried out in 1992 and new oak booms were fitted as well as new pulleys, so that today it is once again fully functional. Because the booms do not reach the water due to the dredging of the Mosel, it is no longer used today.