Burg Eltz (Eltz Castle) - Münstermaifeld

Burg Eltz (Eltz Castle)

Gräflich Eltz'sche Kastellanei Burg Eltz
Burg-Eltz-Straße 1
56294 Münstermaifeld

Tel.: +49 2672 - 950 500

Opening times

30. March - 02. November:
daily: 9:30am - 5:30pm
 

Travel month

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12

Suitable for

4.23 / 5

Statistics

updated: 24.03.2019
Published: 22.10.14
Added to the travel planner: 4331
Printed: 1195
reviews: 4.23 von 5 (52 reviews)

Errors and omissions excepted!

Report an issue

Eltz Castle, which for decades emblazoned the 500 deutschmark banknote, is majestically situated in the beautiful Eltz river valley. The castle dating back to the 12th century is among the best-known castles in Germany and is the only site in the Eifel region that has never been ravaged or destroyed. Burg Eltz is surrounded on three sides by the Eltz River and was built on a rock formation which rises to a height of 70 metres and whose shape gives rise to the unusual ground plans of individual rooms.

Building work was carried out on the castle into the 16th century, when it was finally finished. After several successions, Duke Karl of Eltz donated 184,000 marks (the equivalent of 8 million euros today), for the restoration of the castle in the 19th century. After a fire in the year 1920 which affected some parts of the building, restoration work was finished in 1930. For more than 800 years the castle has been in the sole ownership of the Eltz-Kempenich lineage, today that of the Duke and Noble Lord Karl Eltz-Kempenich. He opened the castle to the public and provides care for the upkeep of his fairy-tale property.

Route map